Monday, September 27, 2010

Rueli - Tea Country Part 1

After my last work trip to Taiwan, I laced up my hiking boots and headed to west-central Taiwan.  I did not have much time, so after a little research, I found a perfect place to hike, the Fenshu-Rueli Historic Trail.   I could take the Alishan forest train up 2200 m over 27 bridges and through 49 tunnels induldging my love trains.  From the guidebook, it sounded perfect.  Unfortunately, as a I live by the philosophy - "No Reservations" - I encountered one big problem.  The typhoons that passed through the year before, had created numerous landslides, shut down the train line and closed the trail.  I had no choice but to take the bus to Rueli and just do day trips.  Amazingly I was not disappointed, in fact as always I was delighted.  Everything turned out alright.

Here is the village of Rueli:  


Leaving right from the heart of town, 1600 pleasure inducing stone steps plummet down to the Sheng Mao Shu stream.


Buddhism's lotus flower represents purity of body, spirit and mind.


Bamboo, one of the coolest grasses around, grows up to two feet a day.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment